You are booked to come in for a Massage Therapy treatment! Here are a few things to consider during your massage therapy treatment to get the most out of your visit.
- Remember to explain to your therapist in detail what your concern is. Your RMT may ask many questions and perform a few assessment tests, especially during your initial appointment or after not seeing you for a while. This allows us to develop a treatment plan and help you reach health goals faster.
- Prior to the getting on the table, your RMT will explain how much to undress, however it is completely up to your comfort level how much you undress. Your RMT will then leave the room for you to get undressed and lie on the table, covered by a sheet. During the massage, the area your RMT is working on will be undraped, but the rest of the body will be covered under the sheet. Tell us if you are cold, want to be covered, don’t want an area of your body touched, don’t like the music, or are experiencing discomfort with the technique or how it is being applied. Remember, you are in charge, and can ask for changes or stop the session at any time.
- As a patient, your primary job is to relax; the better you can relax, the easier it will be for the therapist to find the knots and apply pressure accordingly. So remember to take some deep breathes to help with relaxing and let the therapist move your arm or head for you. It’s natural to want to help, but it’s easier to just let them move you, of course unless they ask you to move.
- Everyone’s pain tolerance is different, your therapist will/should be communicating with you throughout the treatment regarding pressure, please feel free to let them know if it’s not enough pressure or too much. Throughout the treatment, pressure will feel different depending on the goal and techniques used, even a deep tissue massage should be a pressure that might feel like a “feel good pain”, and you can breathe through it without having to clench or tighten your muscle.
- You are welcome to chat or not talk with your therapist during your massage treatment. It’s completely up to your comfort level. Your therapist will check in with you about pressure and comfort throughout the treatment, we love hearing your stories, but we will not be offended if you don’t feel like talking that day.
Our goal is help you relax, heal, and reach your goal in your health journey! Please feel free to ask us any time if you have any questions!